Experienced Competition Economist
Client Services - Investigations, Disputes & Risk London
AlixPartners is a global consulting firm that helps businesses and government agencies respond quickly and decisively to their most critical challenges.
Our expert economists support organisations and their legal counsel in high-stakes antitrust and regulatory matters and commercial disputes, in situations where rigorous economic evidence is required. We are an international practice with long experience of advising on matters before the US, UK, EU, Chinese and Japanese regulatory agencies and courts. We regularly collaborate with academic affiliates and combine academic level rigour with first-rate consulting expertise to produce compelling evidence that best informs the questions the agencies or courts need answering.
Our economics team is part of a wider Investigations, Disputes & Risk practice which means that you will benefit from working closely with other professionals who frequently support us on our cases, including forensic accountants and data analysts. For example, our data analysts assist us with data manipulation and analysis, which can allow our economists to focus on the economics and econometric analysis.
Our economics practice is growing rapidly and we have exciting further growths plans that we’d like you to be part of. We are looking for highly-motivated junior economists interested in a full-time position in our London, Dusseldorf or Munich offices. All candidates are required to have excellent knowledge of microeconomics, preferably industrial organisation, advanced microeconomics or econometrics with at least 2 years relevant work experience.
We welcome applications throughout the year and can be flexible regarding start date.
Examples Of Our Work Include
- representing Visa in a series of High Court litigations on interchange fees and in the European Commission investigation into inter-regional interchange fees;
- assisting a major international beverages supplier respond to investigation by a competition authority regarding allegations that its rebate system has had anti-competitive effects;
- supporting Bauer Media, the number 2 commercial radio operator in the UK (and the owner of stations including KISS, Absolute Radio and Jazz FM), with a Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) investigation into its acquisition of several UK radio assets;
- representing PING, a supplier of custom-fitted golf clubs, in its appeal to the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal of a decision by the CMA alleging anti-competitive vertical restraints, specifically an online sales ban;
- providing economics support to a range of North-West European energy majors in contract disputes; and
- advising a telecoms operator on compliance with competition law regarding the terms in its wholesale contracts with other telecoms operators (including, for example, most-favoured- nation clauses).
What You’ll Do
We offer a stimulating, flexible environment that will challenge you while also giving you the support you need to develop and excel. You will work on a wide variety of projects with highly skilled, purpose-built teams. You will learn how to apply economic theory and techniques to real world problems and rapidly enhance your professional consulting skills.
We pride ourselves on our clear written and verbal communication of complex economic issues to non-economists. We expect our team members to demonstrate these skills and we will support them in further refining these skills as their career progresses. At AlixPartners, you will be actively involved in developing the analytical framework of cases from the start. You will also be actively involved in client meetings from the start and participate in discussions of how to present our results to our clients and their legal advisors. This will allow you to learn from senior team members and, as soon as you are ready, we will give you the opportunity to present directly to clients. The level of exposure you will receive at AlixPartners is second-to-none.
Your precise role will depend on the project. Your work will range from research of market data, reviewing theoretical and empirical academic literature and applying those to the case in hand, working with data, applying various econometric techniques, drafting sections of economic reports as well as managing more junior members of the team.
Our culture is highly collaborative and down-to-earth. You will have the support of our leadership team, your career coach, mentors, peers, and others vested in your success. We offer a structured programme of training and internal seminars.
You will work in a diverse environment with people from a variety of backgrounds; our EMEA economics team benefits from having 14 nationalities represented.
What You’ll Need
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A post-graduate degree, either Master’s or PhD, in economics or econometrics; preferably with a focus on industrial organisation, advanced microeconomics, or applied econometrics.
- A minimum of 2 years relevant work experience. Relevant experience includes working in government or an authority on competition issues or on economic regulation or working for an economics consultancy.
- A mix of analytical rigour, the ability to apply economic theory to a wide range of practical problems, and strong communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Language requirements: Candidates must be fluent in English. Other European languages, particularly German, and Mandarin would be useful.
AlixPartners offers a comprehensive compensation package including an excellent benefit program (health, vision, dental, disability, tuition reimbursement).
AlixPartners is an equal opportunity employer.
EMPLOYER AND JOB POSTING DISCLAIMER
All genuine AlixPartners vacancies are located on the AlixPartners website. AlixPartners does not charge any application, processing or training fee at any stage of the recruitment process, and interviews will be held in-person or via a secure video tool. AlixPartners does not engage with candidates via platforms such as VIBER, Google Hangouts or other instant messaging platforms.