Client Services - Risk Advisory London
Our Economics Practice
Our expert economists support organisations and their legal counsel in high-stakes antitrust and regulatory matters and commercial disputes, in situations where rigorous economic evidence is required. We are an international practice with long experience of advising on matters before the US, UK, EU, Chinese and Japanese regulatory agencies and courts. We regularly collaborate with academic affiliates and combine academic level rigour with first-rate consulting expertise to produce compelling evidence that best informs the questions the agencies or courts need answering.
Our economics team is part of a wider Risk practice which means that you will benefit from working closely with other professionals who frequently support us on our cases, including forensic accountants and data analysts.
Economics consultant roles typically commence in September 2023, but we are open to an early start.
Our culture is highly collaborative and down-to-earth. You will have the support of our leadership team, your career coach, mentors, peers, and others vested in your success. We offer a structured programme of training and internal seminars.
You will work in a diverse environment with people from a variety of backgrounds; our EMEA economics team benefits from having 16 nationalities represented.
Examples Of Our Work Include
- representing Visa in a series of English High Court litigations on interchange fees and in the European Commission investigation into interregional interchange fees;
- providing economic expert witness evidence concerning Google and Apple’s conduct in relation to their app stores. The economic analysis covered a wide range of challenging issues, from defining the relevant product and geographic markets, assessing dominance, to analysing the impact of the alleged abusive conduct on competition and consumers.
- providing economics support to a range of North-West European energy majors in contract disputes; and
- advising Optus, the number two mobile telecoms operator in Australia, with articulating why a proposed wholesale arrangement between Telstra and TPG, the number one and three operators in the market respectively, will be anti-competitive and will lead to a reduction in dynamic infrastructure competition.
What You’ll Do
As an economics consultant, you will:
- Research and review theoretical and empirical academic literature
- Research and understand key market dynamics and structures
- Build models and apply various econometric techniques
- Apply your qualitative and quantitative findings to the case in hand
- Draft sections of expert economic reports and presentations
- Communicate clearly complex economic issues to non-economists
- Get exposure to senior team members and clients
What You’ll Need
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- All candidates are required to be currently undertaking or have recently completed a Master’s or PhD in economics with a focus on microeconomics, preferably industrial organisation, advanced microeconomics or econometrics.
- Relevant professional experience working in an economics consultancy, competition authority, regulator, or government is desirable but not a requirement.
- A mix of analytical rigour, the ability to apply economic theory to a wide range of practical problems, and strong communication and drafting skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Language requirements: Candidates must be fluent in English. Other European languages, particularly German and French, and Mandarin would be useful.
- Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice.
- Ability to work full time in an office and remote environment; physically able to sit/stand at a computer and work in front of a computer screen for significant portions of the workday
- Must become familiar with, and promote and abide by, our Core Values as defined by the AlixPartners’ Code of Conduct and foster an inclusive environment with people at all levels of an organisation.
This description is not designed to encompass a comprehensive listing of required activities, duties or responsibilities.
In addition to a positive workplace, the firm offers a comprehensive compensation package including an excellent benefit programme.
EMPLOYER AND JOB POSTING DISCLAIMER
All genuine AlixPartners vacancies are located on the AlixPartners website. AlixPartners does not charge any application, processing or training fee at any stage of the recruitment process, and interviews will be held in-person or via a secure video tool. AlixPartners does not engage with candidates via platforms such as VIBER, Google Hangouts or other instant messaging platforms.