Experienced Senior Competition Economist
Client Services - Risk Advisory London
Economics | Experienced Senior Competition Economist
AlixPartners is a global consulting firm that helps businesses and government agencies respond quickly and decisively to their most critical challenges.
Our expert economists support organisations and their legal counsel in high-stakes antitrust and regulatory matters and commercial disputes, in situations where rigorous economic evidence is required. We are an international practice with long experience of advising on matters before the US, UK, EU, Chinese and Japanese regulatory agencies and courts. We regularly collaborate with academic affiliates and combine academic level rigour with first-rate consulting expertise to produce compelling evidence that best informs the questions the agencies or courts need answering.
Our economics team is part of a wider Risk practice which means that you will benefit from working closely with other professionals who frequently support us on our cases, including forensic accountants and data analysts. For example, our data analysts assist us with data manipulation and analysis, which can allow our economists to focus on the economics and econometric analysis.
Our economics practice is growing rapidly and we have exciting further growths plans that we’d like you to be part of. We are looking for experienced senior economists interested in a full-time position. All candidates are required to have significant and relevant professional experience and excellent knowledge of microeconomics, preferably industrial organisation, advanced microeconomics or econometrics.
What You’ll Do
Our culture is highly collaborative and down-to-earth and we offer a stimulating, flexible environment that will challenge you while also giving you the support you need to further develop your career.
You will work with economics experts to develop the analytical framework of cases, manage project teams to undertake the research and analysis, and lead the drafting of deliverables, including expert reports. You will also have significant client interaction, often leading the management of client relationships on cases, including discussing our analytical approach with our clients and their legal advisors and presenting the findings of our analysis.
We are thoroughly committed to the development of our team’s capabilities. All our senior team act as mentors and career advisors to our junior team and we would expect you to take on such a role, providing training to help you with this.
You will also have the support of our leadership team to help you develop and our Managing Directors would actively mentor and advise you to help you take your career to the next level. We have a strong track record of developing senior economists, helping them to build their personal brands in the market and to deepen their relationships with private-practice lawyers and corporates, so that they become trusted advisors.
You will work in a highly diverse environment with people from a variety of backgrounds; our EMEA economics team benefits from having 16 nationalities represented.
Examples Of Our Work Include
- representing Visa in a series of English High Court litigations on interchange fees and in the European Commission investigation into inter-regional interchange fees;
- providing economic expert witness evidence concerning Google and Apple’s conduct in relation to their app stores. The economic analysis covered a wide range of challenging issues, from defining the relevant product and geographic markets, assessing dominance, to analysing the impact of the alleged abusive conduct on competition and consumers.
- providing economics support to a range of North-West European energy majors in contract disputes; and
- advising Optus, the number two mobile telecoms operator in Australia, with articulating why a proposed wholesale arrangement between Telstra and TPG, the number one and three operators in the market respectively, will be anti-competitive and will lead to a reduction in dynamic infrastructure competition.
What You’ll Need
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A post-graduate degree, either Master’s or PhD, in economics or econometrics; preferably with a focus on industrial organisation, advanced microeconomics, or applied econometrics.
- Relevant professional experience includes working in government or an authority on competition issues or on economic regulation or working for an economics consultancy.
- Track record of taking the lead in delivering rigorous economic analysis on challenging economics projects and presenting findings in compelling and clear reports.
- A mix of analytical rigour, the ability to apply economic theory to a wide range of practical problems, and strong communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours, and in particular as unique projects/needs arise.
- Language requirements: Candidates must be fluent in English. Other European languages, particularly German and French, would be useful.
AlixPartners offers a comprehensive compensation package including an excellent benefit program (health, vision, dental, disability, tuition reimbursement).
AlixPartners is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to among other things, race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or status as an individual with disability.
EMPLOYER AND JOB POSTING DISCLAIMER
All genuine AlixPartners vacancies are located on the AlixPartners website. AlixPartners does not charge any application, processing or training fee at any stage of the recruitment process, and interviews will be held in-person or via a secure video tool. AlixPartners does not engage with candidates via platforms such as VIBER, Google Hangouts or other instant messaging platforms.